Getting to Windows Update
1. Click on the Windows button (found on the keyboard with the Windows logo).
2. You should now see a search bar in the lower left corner (Windows 7).
3. Click in the search bar, and search for Control Panel
4. In the Control Panel window, click on the System and Security.
5. In the System and Security window, there should be an option named Windows Update.
6. Click Check for Updates.
7. Your current update status will be displayed. If you have updates that you need to install, see Manually Installing Updates below.
1. Open the Search menu.
2. Select the Settings tab and enter Control Panel in the search bar. A list will populate.
3. Change the view settings to Small Icon.
4. Then click on Windows Updates.
5. Click Check for Updates.
6. Your current update status will be displayed. If you have updates that you need to install, see Manually Installing Updates below.
Updates automatically download and install when they’re available, which means that your PC always has the latest and best features. Windows 10 periodically checks for updates. If you want to check manually, select the Start button, then select Settings (gear icon) > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates.
Alternatively, you can type “Windows Update” into the Search bar to the right of the Start Window button (Windows icon). Then click Check for updates under Update status.
Manually Installing Updates on Windows 7 and 8
In the Windows Update window, click on the Check for updates option.
1. Windows will then search for updates and give you a list of how many updates were found.
2. Select the updates you want to install and click the OK button.
3. A new window will appear. Click on the Install Updates button to install your updates.
4. Restart the computer after the updates have been installed.
5. This process should be repeated until there are no updates needed.
Setting Up Automatic Updates for Windows 7 and 8
1. In the Windows Update windows, click on Change settings.
2. Make sure Automatic (recommended) or Install updates automatically (recommended) is selected.
3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.