You can install and set up Microsoft Remote Desktop from your Windows workstation computer to a personal iOS device.
*Steps 1 and 2 require access to your work computer
Step 1: Enable Remote Desktop on Your University Device
If you already have your computer configured to receive remote desktop protocol connections: e.g., you connect remotely already through a virtual private network (VPN connection), you can skip steps 1 and 2 and proceed to step 3.
1. Windows 7 –
a) Right click on the Computer option from the Start menu.
b) Left-click on Properties. The screen will display basic information about your computer.
Windows 10 –
a) Right Click on the Start Button and select System from the Menu
2. Left-click on Remote Settings from the left-hand side of the screen.
- The User Account Control pop-up window will be displayed.
- Click Yes to allow the program, System Remote Settings, to make changes to your computer. The System Properties window will open on the Remote
- NOTE: If you see the message “You must enable the Window Firewall exception for Remote Desktop” in the dialogue box, click on the provided link. The page that pops up will give you additional instructions on how to change settings for Remote Desktop Connection so that it works.
- Windows 7 – Verify that the third radio button is selected. If it is not, select it.
- Windows 10 – Verify that the second radio button is selected, as well as the checkbox underneath the second radio button.
- Click OK.
Windows 7 –
Windows 10 –
Step 2: Note Your Computer Name
After completing the above steps, you will be returned to the Properties (basic information about your computer) window.
- Write down the information listed in the Full computer name This information is needed when attempting to connect to your University computer from your remote PC.
Step 3: Installing Microsoft Remote Desktop
Open the app store on your mobile device and search Microsoft Remote Desktop. Click Get it.
This will require an Apple ID password.
Step 4: Configuring a Remote Desktop Gateway
1. Open the Microsoft Remote Desktop application.
2. Tap the Gear in the upper left corner.
3. Tap Gateway
4. Tap Add Remote Desktop Gateway
5. Tap Server Name, enter “remote.uconn.edu”.
6. Tap Save.
7. Tap User Name.
8. Tap Add User Account.
9. Enter in the following credentials:
User Name: UCONNyour NetID
Password: NetID password
9. Go back to the Add Remote Desktop Gateway window, and tap Save.
10. A remote desktop gateway should now be created.
Step 5: Configuring a Remote Desktop Connection
1. Open Microsoft Remote Desktop.
2. Tap the Plus in the upper right corner.
3. Tap Add PC or Server.
4. Tap PC Name, and enter the Full Computer Name retrieved previously.
5. Tap Done.
6. Tap User Name.
7. There should already be an option to select UCONNYour NetID – select this.
8. Tap Settings.
9. Tap Gateway.
10. Select remote.uconn.edu.
11. Tap Friendly Name.
12. Type in UConn Work PC
13. Tap Done
14. Return to the Create Connection screen
15. Tap Save to create your connection.
16. You should now see your PC under My Desktops. Tap this to connect to your PC.