Microsoft office is an office suite of interrelated desktop applications, servers and services for Windows OS and Mac OS. This article goes through the installation, activation, and troubleshooting procedures for Windows.
*Note: UConn provides product keys for Microsoft Office 2013 to all students through UConn On The Hub.
To sign into UConn’s software download page:
1. Navigate to uconn.onthehub.com
2. Enter your NetID credentials and click Login
4.Once logged in, you should see this screen:
Downloading Installers and Receiving Product Keys
To download an installer:
1. After logging in, select the Microsoft Office 2013 software to download and install. Click on it to proceed to the next page.
2. At the next page select Add To Cart, on the bottom-right.
3. At the next screen, click Check Out, on the bottom-right.
4. At the next screen, you will be prompted to sign the MS Licensing agreement. Make sure this is understood before signing and then type your username (NetID i.e. abc12345) and signature (First and Last name i.e. Jonathan Husky), before hitting I Accept at the bottom.
5. At the next screen, you will be asked for order information. Fill out the form with the last name, first name and email address (it is recommended that you use your @uconn.edu address). Then click Proceed With Order.
6. You have finally reached the download and product key screen! To download the installer, select Start Download at the top-right. The product key is shown in the main box. Copy this into a text or word document and save it for later.
7. After clicking Start Download, a screen asking you to download the software will appear. Click Download and run the .exe file.
8. Once the download is complete click Run.
9. A window will pop up with the Microsoft License Agreement. Check the box that says ‘I accept the terms of this agreement’ and click Continue. In the following window choose Install now. All of the necessary files will then begin to install.
10. The Office package will automatically start installing itself onto the computer. Click Next.
10. Choose Use recommended settings and click Accept. Click Next on the screen that follows.
11. When the program prompts you to sign in click No thanks, maybe later. Click Next on the screen that follows.
12. Click All done!
Activating (Immediately After Installation)
Note: You may be required to restart your computer before activating your Office package.
1. To activate Office 2013, open one of the Office programs such as Microsoft Word.
2. You will then be prompted to enter the Product Key. Enter your product key, and then click Continue.
3. If you wish to sign into Office and save documents to the cloud with SkyDrive, click Next and follow the directions . If not, then click X on the top right hand corner of the window. Office will now be active on your computer.
Reactivation (To be done if Office has been previously activated on computer or if you’ve been using a trial version of Office )
1. Click the File tab.
2. Click Account, and then click Activate/Change Product Key
3. Enter in your product key and click continue
4. Exit out of the Office Program and restart it. Office will now be activated.
Repair the Office or Office Program
This situation generally occurs when the file association of file type extension is incorrect. To correct the problem, one must ensure to check and correct the file associations by “repairing the Office or Office program”, or by using the “regserver” command.
1. Close all running Office programs and turn off any running anti-virus program.
2. Click the Start button and select the Run option
3. In the Run window, type the following command: appwiz.cpl. This would open the Add or Remove Programs window.
4. Right click the installed office program (for this example it is Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 but you can also do this for Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013)
5. Now click the change option. The Microsoft Office Setup window will be displayed
6. A popup window will appear asking to choose your repair method of choice. Select Quick Repair or the Online Repair option. The Quick Repair option is faster and runs without an internet connection but may not fix all issues. The Online Repair option takes longer but fixes all issues while using an internet connection.
Once you have chosen your repair option, click Repair.The program will now check for the installed files and will replace or install any files from the earlier version of Office which were of wrong size, damaged, corrupt or missing.
7. After repairing of the Office program, turn on the anti-virus program on your computer system.
8. The repairing of Office would make the program free from errors or any type of corruptions thus making the files accessible.
Use of “regserver”
The regserver command is used re-register the Office program itself. This command is useful when you want to rewrite all the program registry keys and re-associate the programs with suitable program files. To perform this modification, follow these steps:
1. Close the program which has to be re-registered
2. Go into command prompt
3. Type the specified path in which the program’s exe file is located (in quotes) and/unregserver. In this case it is “C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficewinword.exe” /unregserver in the box.
4. Immediately after type the same file path (with quotes) with regserver at the end. In this case it is “C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficewinword.exe” /regserver