Faculty, staff, and students can change their email address by creating and publishing a new Personal Name. A Personal Name allows UConn faculty, staff, and students to create an email alias (the portion of your email address to the left of @uconn.edu) that is different from the name originally assigned to them by the University.
After reading this article students, faculty, and staff should be able to:
- Change their UConn email address by creating a valid personal name
- Select the email address you want published in the email systems, UConn phonebook, and UConn directories
- Delete a personal name
What is a valid Personal Name?
Typically, Personal Name (or email aliases) are a variant of your name (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com), but you may create any name that uses valid address characters. E-mail aliases are not case sensitive and can be entered in lowercase, uppercase, or a combination of the two. Valid alias submissions will be automatically implemented. Any Personal Name that is found to be in violation of institutional policy or contrary to prevailing community standards or that is misleading will be revoked by ITS.
You may have up to three Personal Names. One of these Personal Names will be the Standard Personal Name, which is assigned to you when you join the University. You may choose your other two aliases. The domain must be @uconn.edu.
Note: If a Personal Name has already been assigned to a staff member, it will not be available until six months after that person leaves the University. If a Personal Name has been assigned to a student, that name is unavailable. Personal Names cannot be reserved.
Change your Email Address
To change your email address and have it published, follow the two steps below. Even if you do not publish your new Personal Name (email alias), mail sent to this address will be delivered to you.
Step 1. Add a new Personal Name
- Go to pername.uconn.edu and log in with your NetID credentials.
- Click Add Personal Name from the left-hand side.
- Enter the desired personal name. Do not include “@uconn.edu” as that is built-in.
- Click Add APN.
- A green success bar should appear and it will appear as an alternate personal name.
Step 2. Select the email address published in the email systems and UConn phonebook
- Go to uconn.edu, and log in with your NetID credentials.
- Click Select Published Name from the left-hand side.
- Under “Publish a Personal Name,” click the radio button beside the email address you wish to have shown in the email systems and UConn phonebook.
- Click Change PPN.
- A green success bar will appear noting your new published personal name.
Note: The email address you choose for your published personal name will become your new login for your email account, either Office 365 (for faculty and staff) or Gmail (for students). This change can take up to an hour, and email will be inaccessible during this time. If you cannot access your email after an hour, change your NetID password and try again.
Delete a Personal Name
- Go to uconn.edu and log in with NetID credentials.
- Click Delete Personal Name from the left-hand side.
- Under “Delete an Alternate Personal Name (APN),” click the radio button beside the name you wish to delete.
- Click Delete APN.
- A green success bar will appear noting that the selected APN was successfully deleted.