University Information Technology Services (UITS) provides a Mass Mail service to enable members of our community to contact a large number of recipients at one time. A service account is required.
Benefits of this Service
UITS has limits set on our standard email systems to protect the performance of central email. The standard email systems do not allow you to send hundreds or thousands of emails at a time. This restriction is in place to prevent accounts from spamming the Internet and getting the university mail service blocked.
If you are planning on sending a single email to hundreds or more recipients, then the Mass Mail service is the best and most efficient way to do it. With this service, you can send mass emails from on-campus and off-campus locations through a secure connection.
How to Use this Service
Below are instructions for how to create and configure a new account in Microsoft Outlook from which you can send mass emails.
1. Open Microsoft Outlook (2016). Click File > Add Account.
2. In the “Add Account” window choose “Manual setup or additional server types” and click “Next” to create a new email account.
3. Select “Pop or IMAP”. Click Next.
4. Enter the following information into the Add Account window shown below. Click the More Settings button in the lower-right when done.
- NOTE: the User Name and Password here refers to the “Incoming mail server”
5. From the More Settings dialogue box, select the General tab. Type a name to help you identify this account.
6. From the More Settings dialogue box, select the Outgoing Server tab. Check the box “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”. Choose the Log on using radio button. Enter your service account username and password. Click OK.
- Note: To send emails on behalf of a group, such as a department, club, or third-party vendor, you should request a dedicated “service account.” You would then create a new account using the credentials of the service account. To request a service account or for assistance with set-up, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Select the Advanced Tab.
- Under Server Port Numbers, ensure that the incoming server (IMAP) is set to 993 and uses SSL as the type of encrypted connection.
- Set the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number to 587 with TLS as the type of encrypted connection (data encrypted after sending) or port number 465 with SSL as the type of encrypted connection (data encrypted before sending).
- Uncheck “Do not save copies of sent items”. Click OK.
8.You are now back to the Add Account window. Click Next to test your settings. If the test is successful, click Close. If the test failed, review the information entered, and if you continue to experience problems, contact the UITS Help Center for assistance.
9.You are now back to the Add Account window. Click Finish.
10.Open Microsoft Outlook (2016) and look for the new account to appear in the list to the left.