Requesting a mass mail account
Before configuring the mass mail account, you must request an account by emailing email@example.com.
Once you receive credentials for Mass Mailing from the e-mail team, you can use them to configure a new profile in Outlook and have it prompt you to select which profile to access: Mass Mail profile or your normal outlook profile.
How to add a mass mail account in outlook as a separate profile
- To set it up as a separate Profile open Control Panel and click on Mail (32 bit)
- Click on Show Profiles
- Check the box “Prompt for a profile to be used” and click add
- Name the profile then Click Ok
- Check Manual Set up check box and then click next
- Check the “POP or IMAP” box and click next
- Fill out with the following information below:
- User Information: Your name is the mass mail account name from the Global Address List of the mailbox you are accessing and the mass mail email address
- Server Information: Account type IMAP, incoming server outlook.office365.com and outgoing server massmail.uconn.edu
- Logon Information: User name and password here refers to the incoming mail server (your UConn email) Remember Password should be checked
- Click the More Settings dialogue box and select the General tab. Type in a profile name to help you identify this account
- Select Outgoing Server tab and check the box “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”. Enter your service / mass mail account username and password
- Select the Advanced tab
- Under Server Port Numbers, ensure that the incoming server (IMAP) is set to 993 and uses SSL as the type of encrypted connection
- Set the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number to 587 with TLS as the type of encrypted connection (data encrypted after sending) or port number 465 with SSL as the type of encrypted connection (data encrypted before sending)
Uncheck “Do not save copies of sent items”. Click OK
- You should now be back to the Add Account window. Click Next to test your settings. If the test is successful you will see the below window and a Test e-mail should be received, click Close. If the test failed, review the information entered, and if you continue to experience problems, contact the ITS Help Center for assistance.
- If everything is successful click close and finish. You should see an additional profile now in mail. Click apply and ok and exit outlook if it is open
- Now upon opening outlook you will be prompted to choose which profile will be used. You will see a mix of personal and shared mail if it is a Shared Mailbox